[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 3920
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2014-11-19 09:34:18 -0500
Subject: Re: Documentation query

On 14 Nov 2014 12:05, Jon Rowlan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to work out on one of my servers, why milter-ahead
> doesn't seem to be looking ahead.
>
> I have mail from someone@hotmail.com being delivered to one of my
> domains that I have in access as
>
> domain.com		RELAY

Note that Sendmail cf/README has stated that untagged entries are
deprecated for several years.

The default in libsnert has been not to process untagged entries like
above.  See the libsnert configure option if you want this on:

	--enable-access-tagless
		support for tagless access records (Sendmail, Postfix)

Also what is the setting of smdb-relay-ok (default is off)?

	# Treat a RELAY value same as OK (white-list), else is unknown.
	-smdb-relay-ok

> and where I have a mailertable entry
>
> domain.com		esmtp:[server.anotherdomain.com]
>
> Reading a paragraph near the top of the web page, I don't quite
> understand but I think this means that I should be getting a look
> ahead:
>
> "With the square-brackets around a host name or IP address, the route
> is well defined and the postmaster knows exactly which server is the
> next hop for mail in the recipient domain. This milter does not
> perform MX lookups when the square brackets are missing by default
> and thus would skip the call-ahead test (see mx-lookup)."
>
> This suggests that if square brackets are present a look ahead should
> be run.

Correct.

But part of that depends on the default set of Sendmail milter macros
being present.  Sometimes they go AWAL when other milters are added.
See this article that covers what to check:

http://www.snertsoft.info/lists/article.php?l=milters&d=2006-06&f=959

> Is there any other reason why the look ahead simply doesn't work?

If a previously call-ahead failure is cached that can throw off the
look-ahead especially if someone sent test mail for a new domain before
the configuration was complete.

Stop the milter and delete the cache (/var/db, /var/cache) then restart
the milter.

--
Anthony C Howe            Skype: SirWumpus                  SnertSoft
                        Twitter: SirWumpus      BarricadeMX & Milters

Lists Index Date Thread Search