[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 2899
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2012-09-07 10:20:26 -0400
Subject: Re: milter-limit list of limits

On 7 Sep 2012 09:42, Dave Godglick whispered from the shadows...:
> I can't think of how the syntax would work either. I was hoping
> perhaps there was something that I was missing. Basically what I was
> looking for was a way to stop a burst of messages of it occurs as
> well as a daily cap. I'll go through my logs and see which will be
> the best option.

Steve Freegard and I have been talking about this via Skype since he has
a similar need in another project.  Here is a summary of that chat:

1. A set of limits for burst vs normal behaviour or soft/hard limits.
Once you support more than one limit you might as well allow for any
number of limits and leave it to the admin to figure out meaning for
more than 2 limits.

2. A set of limits needs a syntax to fit into the existing pattern list
syntax. So something like simple comma delimited set (no whitespace):

	limit,limit,limit

allows for pattern list like

	[ip/cidr]limit !glob!limit,limit,limit /regex/limit,limit limit,limit

3. A set of limits means tracking and expiry of multiple counters for
multiple patterns. You cannot treat in simple list order and fail on
first, since you need to update all the counters. So parse and count all
limits and pass mail if all limits pass; otherwise on a limit failure
report first one found.

--
Anthony C Howe            Skype: SirWumpus                  SnertSoft
                        Twitter: SirWumpus      BarricadeMX & Milters

Lists Index Date Thread Search