[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1141
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2010-11-19 12:41:14 -0500
Subject: Re: failed to grey list

On 19/11/2010 17:03, Brian Camp whispered from the shadows...:
> We've been running libsnert 1.65 and milter-gris 0.21 for quite a while
> now and just yesterday milter-gris started misbehaving.  After running
> for a while, it will start giving 'failed to grey list' errors and not
> allow the cache to be updated:

1. OS & version? Berkeley DB version? Sendmail or Postfix version?

2. Check cache directory & file permissions? See Notes section of manual.

3. Disk space where cache is kept, typically in /var/cache or /var/db.
Check /var/tmp and /var/log for huge files.

4. Size of the cache file? Has it grown to OS max. file size?

5. Due you have a security monitoring process that enforce file
permissions of certain directories and/or files based on some defined
list? Seen this in the past with Mandrake Linux.

6. The cache might be corrupted, stop the milter, delete the cache,
restart the milter.

> Restarting the daemon fixes the issue.  I'm in the process of updating
> the installation to the latest version, but was wondering if anyone else
> had encountered this problem before?

Typically if the process has been running fine for long period of time
(given you still use libsnert 1.65) then sudden failures are typically
due to changes in the environment: disk, memory, OS and/or library
updates, etc.

--
Anthony C Howe            Skype: SirWumpus                  SnertSoft
                        Twitter: SirWumpus      BarricadeMX & Milters

Lists Index Date Thread Search