[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1063
From: Geoff Adams
Date: 2010-09-08 10:51:11 -0400
Subject: Re: fixcrio in milter

On 8 Sep 2010, at 10:24 AM, Anthony Howe wrote:

> I am unaware of any bare LF issues in the current versions of my
> milters.

I read the Hans's note as a request for a feature (well, a request to
know if your milters have the feature) to fix up line endings in
messages that come in incorrectly in the first place. Honestly, I
can't say I've seen a problem with that in real mail, but perhaps
qmail is more strict in this regard. I'd expect that that's a feature,
though, and that any incoming mail that has incorrect line endings
would likely be spam, and best rejected.

Judging by the link Hans included, it seems like sending LFs instead
of CRLFs, which is strictly forbidden by the relevant RFCs, will cause
other problems for the sender, as well. Further, the noted sending MTA
versions that exhibit this problem are quite old. Actually, pretty
much ancient. It doesn't seem like this should be a problem today.

Hans, why don't you get the senders to correct the actual problem, if
I understand correctly, and there are sending MTAs violating the SMTP
spec?

- Geoff

Lists Index Date Thread Search