[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1049
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2010-09-01 11:35:17 -0400
Subject: Re: milter-spamc 2.0 testing

On 01/09/2010 16:12, Emanuele (aka Skull) whispered from the shadows...:
> On 9/1/10 7:31 AM, Anthony Howe wrote:
>> Typically though spam with multiple recipients per message appear to
>> have declined in use (site recipient limits, dictionary detection,
>> botnet sizes vs old school single mail cannons).
>
> This seems not to be so true: at least one of the botnets out there
> spits out multi-recipient spam (10-15 RCPTs max).

I haven't yet seen that on my server, but then my volume is not the same.

>> This is certainly possibly. Tagging certainly won't hurt, unless DKIM /
>> PGP is used to sign the Subject: header.
>
> Yep. In truth, with "tagging" I meant "adding a proper spam
header", not
> adding a TAG to the subject line, for the reasons you already noted out.

Well I always do X- header tagging (unless disabled) so that would not
be an issue or something new needed.

> "If the recipient (or one of the recipients) is whitelisted, run spamc
> anyway but fallback to this other policy".

That's the point of +smtp-dsn-enable, though not sure what you mean by
policy and how it might be different from what this option aims to do.

> So, even if the mail comes with only one recipient, I can still run
> spamc on it and add proper headers.

+smtp-dsn-enable would allow that.

> I'm not one of those, but sending out DSNs as a result of spam-filtering
> has been observed to be problematic for a long time now...

There will always be this problem, but its a sacrifice for telling legit
senders that something went wrong.

> Bouncing back should be done only if there really is no other choice,
> and I try to avoid it whenever I can.

But bouncing back is the only way to inform a legit sender of failures.
While anti-virus bounces are a bane, anti-spam bounces are more grey.

Anyway. The historical behaviour of milter-spamc will be the default
setting, -smtp-dsn-enable so that those concerned about backscatter.

--
Anthony C Howe            Skype: SirWumpus                  SnertSoft
+33 6 11 89 73 78       Twitter: SirWumpus      BarricadeMX & Milters

Lists Index Date Thread Search