[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 917
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2010-07-20 08:15:50 -0400
Subject: Re: milter-ahead with Debian Testing

On 20/07/2010 11:19, Jon Rowlan whispered from the shadows...:
>> Create a symlink in /usr/lib/libmilter.so pointing to
> /usr/lib/libmilter/libmilter.so, then restart the install procedure
>> from libsnert.
>
>> It's expected to be there but debian systems do not create it.
>
> Didn't seem to make a difference to my configure ..

> Use ls -l on the library I get ...
>
> /usr/lib/libmilter.so -> /usr/lib/libmilter/libmilter.so
> /usr/lib/libmilter/libmilter.so -> libmilter.so.1.0.1
> /usr/lib/libmilter/libmilter.so.1.0.1 -> ../libmilter.so.1.0.1
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 54628 Jan 29 13:27 /usr/lib/libmilter.so.1.0.1
>
> Is configure looking for some other indicator?

It also need to know where the libmilter headers files are, typically

	/usr/include/libmilter/*.h
or
	/usr/local/include/libmilter/*.h

For the libraries it is looking for the libmilter.a, typically in

	/usr/lib/libmilter.a
or
	/usr/local/lib/libmilter.a

Though the .so files should work provided the /etc/ld.so.conf (see man
ldconfig) is configured to find them along some common path. This game
of finding the libraries and headers has been a pet peeve of mine, since
each linux distro or even the same distro between revisions thinks its
being clever about shuffling things off into yet-another location.

When the libraries and/or headers are installed in uncommon locations,
rather than create sym.links, you can tell the libsnert configure script
the directories to add to the search:

	cd com/snert/src/lib
	CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/out/of/way/place" \
	LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/out/of/way/place" \
	./configure

--
Anthony C Howe            Skype: SirWumpus                  SnertSoft
+33 6 11 89 73 78       Twitter: SirWumpus      BarricadeMX & Milters

Lists Index Date Thread Search