[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1995
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2009-05-03 03:32:02 -0400
Subject: Re: debian build problems

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Michael Grant uttered...:
>>> To solve this problem:
>>> apt-get install libdb-dev
>> libsnert tries do do this itself.
> I tried this on two completely separate machines running Debian Lenny
> and it doesn't actually succeed in doing this.

well in libsnert com/snert/src/lib/aclocal.m4 there are several
instances specific to Debian where apt-get is called:

	# if it can't find the library or the headers.
	apt-get install -y libmilter-dev

	# Not used for milter related builds.

	# Tries to find the most recent version of libdb and
	# get the matching set of headers. Loops around once
	# to then try find the library and matching headers.
	apt-get install -y libdb${bdb_version}-dev

> It's as if it's not finding the libmilter.

The config.log would explain whether it is the library or headers it is
not finding.

> Also, secondly, I'm just typing ./configure; make; make install,
> should I be doing some sort of debian package thing instead of make
> install?  Perhaps I'm missing some well known debian step for which I
> am unaware of?

The normal way installs is done is as documented in the manual.shtml.

tar -zxf libsnert-1.X.Y.tar.gz
tar -zxf milter-NAME-A.B.tar.gz
cd com/snert/src/lib
./configure [--enable-64bit][--without-sqlite3]
make clean build
cd ../milter-NAME
make clean build
sudo make install

For the milters you typically do not require SQLite3, it is only used in
BarricadeMX currently. For 64-bit machines you must explicitly specify

It is the same procedure for all my milters on all platforms. The
libsnert configure will report missing pieces and on Debian it attempts
to apt-get them.

Typically causes of build errors are:

a) missing Berkeley DB headers that match the library being linked with;
b) missing libmilter.a and/or matching headers
c) old libmilter with new headers or visa-versa
d) directory locations changed (again); typically /usr/local/include/,
/usr/local/lib, /usr/include, /usr/lib, /lib are searched. Berkeley DB
headers are typically in $prefix/include/db4

cd com/snert/src/lib
./configure [--enable-64bit][--without-sqlite3] 2>&1 >config.out

Then send me config.out and config.log directly off-list.

If the issue persists then I'm likely to have to log into the machine to
see what has change since I last looked at a Debian install.

Anthony C Howe            Skype: SirWumpus                  SnertSoft
+33 6 11 89 73 78       Twitter: SirWumpus      BarricadeMX & Milters
http://snert.com/      http://nanozen.info/     http://snertsoft.com/

Lists Index Date Thread Search