[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1995
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2009-05-03 03:32:02 -0400
Subject: Re: debian build problems

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Michael Grant uttered...:
>>> To solve this problem:
>>> apt-get install libdb-dev
>> libsnert tries do do this itself.
>
> I tried this on two completely separate machines running Debian Lenny
> and it doesn't actually succeed in doing this.

well in libsnert com/snert/src/lib/aclocal.m4 there are several
instances specific to Debian where apt-get is called:

SNERT_LIBMILTER
	# if it can't find the library or the headers.
	apt-get install -y libmilter-dev

SNERT_PAM
	# Not used for milter related builds.

SNERT_BERKELEY_DB
	# Tries to find the most recent version of libdb and
	# get the matching set of headers. Loops around once
	# to then try find the library and matching headers.
	apt-get install -y libdb${bdb_version}-dev

> It's as if it's not finding the libmilter.

The config.log would explain whether it is the library or headers it is
not finding.

> Also, secondly, I'm just typing ./configure; make; make install,
> should I be doing some sort of debian package thing instead of make
> install?  Perhaps I'm missing some well known debian step for which I
> am unaware of?

The normal way installs is done is as documented in the manual.shtml.

tar -zxf libsnert-1.X.Y.tar.gz
tar -zxf milter-NAME-A.B.tar.gz
cd com/snert/src/lib
./configure [--enable-64bit][--without-sqlite3]
make clean build
cd ../milter-NAME
./configure
make clean build
sudo make install

For the milters you typically do not require SQLite3, it is only used in
BarricadeMX currently. For 64-bit machines you must explicitly specify
--enable-64bit.

It is the same procedure for all my milters on all platforms. The
libsnert configure will report missing pieces and on Debian it attempts
to apt-get them.

Typically causes of build errors are:

a) missing Berkeley DB headers that match the library being linked with;
b) missing libmilter.a and/or matching headers
c) old libmilter with new headers or visa-versa
d) directory locations changed (again); typically /usr/local/include/,
/usr/local/lib, /usr/include, /usr/lib, /lib are searched. Berkeley DB
headers are typically in $prefix/include/db4

Try

cd com/snert/src/lib
./configure [--enable-64bit][--without-sqlite3] 2>&1 >config.out

Then send me config.out and config.log directly off-list.

If the issue persists then I'm likely to have to log into the machine to
see what has change since I last looked at a Debian install.

--
Anthony C Howe            Skype: SirWumpus                  SnertSoft
+33 6 11 89 73 78       Twitter: SirWumpus      BarricadeMX & Milters

Lists Index Date Thread Search