[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1901
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2008-10-06 13:23:55 -0400
Subject: Re: Using milter-null when Message-ID is changed in bounced

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

UUN Hostmaster uttered...:
> I am running milter-null version 0.5.13 compiled with libsnert version
> 1.66.951.  Here are the pertinent mail logs.  milter-null adds the
> X-Null-Tag to the outbound message.  When the message bounces, it finds
> the correct date, but not the correct message ID, so the expected
> X-Null-Tag does not match.  It appears that the Lotus Domino Release 7.0.3
> email Server is removing the Message ID from the attached bounced message.
>  Is there a way around this problem?

When a bounce message arrives, it will have it's own set of message
headers, but the message body _should_ contain the original message's
Date and Message-ID and other headers. milter-null looks for those
headers in the message body.

If an MTA does not provide the original message headers in the bounce
message body, then there is nothing that can be done. Even BarricadeMX's
EMEW tagging (evolved from milter-null) would fail if the Message-ID is
not contained in the bounce message.

Lotus Dominio should be following the RFC concern bounce messages. Qmail
doesn't follow the RFC, but it still includes headers. If Qmail can do
it, along with all the other popular MTA, see no reason for Lotus Domino
not too; it might be a configuration option turned off at that site, in
which case all you can do is complain to them to turn it on.

--
Anthony C Howe        Twitter: SirWumpus                    SnertSoft
+33 6 11 89 73 78       Skype: SirWumpus        BarricadeMX & Milters

Lists Index Date Thread Search