[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1886
From: Grant Taylor
Date: 2008-07-11 12:35:50 -0400
Subject: Re: milter-null and out-of-office

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

On 07/10/08 09:06, Greg Matthews wrote:
> Anyone know the required exchange-fu required to get out-of-office
> playing nicely with milter-null?

Um, not as such.

Out-of-Office notices (better known as vacation messages) don't really
follow many standards.  I'd say the closest ""standard would be along
the lines of a Message Disposition Notice (a.k.a. MDN).  I'm not 100%
sure that MDNs will contain the necessary header to get past
milter-null.  I think you are trying to go up a creak, nay water fall,
with out a paddle on this one.

> At the moment our exchange system generates out-of-office messages from
> <> and does not preserve headers so they get rejected by milter-null.

*nod*

> Also, any advice you could provide to our exchange admins about how to
> configure so that these do not get sent to mailing lists or in response
> to spam...

I don't (personally) run Exchange / Outlook so I can't say for sure, but
the idea is to check for any ""list (like) headers and not reply to the
message if they exist.  Likewise with the "Auto-Submitted" header.  You
also don't want to reply to any thing that has a "Precedence:" of
"bulk"
or "list".

Incidentally, this is *why* you want to set those headers in messages
that you send from your web server and mailing lists.

> Please - no lectures about ooo being evil, you'll be preaching to the choir!

Consider your self having to deal with tis as the ongoing and never
ending lecture.  :P  Or better yet, make the Exchange admins deal with
the on going lecture.

> tia

*nod*

Lists Index Date Thread Search