[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1851
From: Ben Spencer
Date: 2008-03-31 16:38:41 -0400
Subject: Re: Centralizing milters

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

> And to add another question to this, how do you currently separate the
> services? For example, do you have:
We also have spread them across several machines. We have a total of 5
hosts(2x milter-spamc/spamd; 1x clamav/clamav-milter + other snert milters;
1x milter-gris; 1x mail gateway which connects to all of the milters) of
which we are averaging about 25-30% utilization (60-70% during spam spikes)

We did this largely because of timeout issues when using only 2 boxes
(possible tuning issue, but with VMWare, it was just too easy spread things
out) and the discovery that a certain group in our organization is sending
out a large amount of email (from a 3rd party) to our own users which kept
things 100% utilized for a couple of hours. That could have had a business
impact if it happened during business hours. No known issues from our
configuration, but the ability to process large amounts of email if needed.

Network traffic could be a consideration (as Anthony mentioned). I am sure
there are other inefficiencies added also (creating/breaking down network
connections), but the system works well and allows us to scale for what we
need.

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s

Lists Index Date Thread Search