[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1821
From: Steve Freegard
Date: 2007-12-23 11:40:59 -0500
Subject: Re: milter-limit and limiting rcpts per message

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Hi Lewis,

Lewis Bergman wrote:
> 2. It is difficult to assign a single limit on all our users. One size
> never fits all and the capability would make things easier for our users
> and would be much easier for us to customize for someone with a valid
> need. Our current setting helps limit outgoing spam (the reason for the
> setting) but it does hinder legitimate users to some extent and in my
> opinion, letting a spammer send 50 messages before getting an error is
> to much.
>
> By the way, We use Barricade (smtpf) and it is simply awesome.
> milter-limit and milter-error have really helped us to limit the impact
> our users have on the rest of the internet as well.
>
> On a side note, are there a set of recommended milters to run on an
> outgoing mail server only that have proved to limit outbound spam yet
> have a minimal impact on responsible users?

We recently added a new feature into BarricadeMX 2.0 (released tomorrow)
to help prevent allowed RELAYs from outbound spamming (as I also find
that outbound rate limiting is very difficult to set-up due to widely
varying user habits), the new option is called 'smtp-strict-relay'.
When enabled it prevents any listed relay from relaying messages with an
envelope-from domain that is not listed in the route-map in an attempt
to prevent address spoofing (as most spambots mail using
google/yahoo/hotmail or other spoofed domains).  It was designed for
companies providing inbound and outbound scanning together, but I'm not
sure if it will be of any use to you, but I thought it was worth
mentioning it just-in-case it could save you some time.

Kind regards,
Steve.

Lists Index Date Thread Search