[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1816
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2007-12-22 09:19:34 -0500
Subject: Re: SPAMD status line failure

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Michael Grant wrote:
> I've been seeing this error in my log file using milter-spamc: SPAMD
> status line failure
>
> I get it on messages that are both spam and ham.  It's not happening
> on all messages, but is happening about once an hour (meaning once
> every several hundred messages in my case).
>
> I'm running SpamAssassin version 3.2.3.
>
> Anyone else getting this message?  Is there anything I can do about it
> to fix it?

This is an I/O error while waiting for the spamd status response line.
Most typical reason is a timeout error. Consider increasing the
spamd-timeout value from 120 seconds to something larger. Spamd is
resource intensive Perl process and is not threaded and will queue up
connections between spamd child processes.

If you have high volume of message traffic, also consider increasing the
number of spamd child processes as the default spamd configuration might
be insufficient for your load.

Another thing to consider is that SpamAssassin 3.2 from what I'm told
(I'm still running a 3.1 version so I'm unfamilar with it) can update on
a regular basis its rulesets. This probably involves restarted the
parent spamd processes after the update, which would mean some sendmail
/ milter-spamc / spamd connection chains will exhibit an I/O error when
an active connection disappears. You might want to lengthen the time
between updates checks to reduce the frequency.

--
Anthony C Howe          Skype: SirWumpus                    SnertSoft
+33 6 11 89 73 78         ICQ: 7116561          BarricadeMX & Milters

Lists Index Date Thread Search