[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1807
From: Grant Taylor
Date: 2007-11-13 10:25:21 -0500
Subject: Re: Follow-up: 10 second milter timeout

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

On 11/13/07 05:21, Ben Spencer wrote:
> Impacts: at least several Snertsoft milters (milter-spamc,
> milter-spiff, milter-clamav). Note: there is no reason to think that
> this is Snertsoft milter specific at this time. Given the workaround,
> I would think this could happen with any milter.

> milter if the milter took longer then 10 seconds to process the mail.
> This is in spite of the "T=" settings (example:
> T=C:15m;S:4m;R:4m;E:10m) being set longer then 10 seconds. The milter
> did usually return the data even after sendmail gave up on it.
> Anthony looked through the various Snertsoft milter code and couldn't
> come up with anything there which was causing it. The libmilter code
> also didn't seem to have anything in it which looked to cause this.
>
> Given that the milter did return data, it really looked like it was
> sendmail giving up on the milter -- and not the milter giving up.
>
> While trying to deal with this, I removed the "F=T" setting (example:
> changed "F=T;T=C:15m;S:4m;R:4m;E:10m" to  T=C:15m;S:4m;R:4m;E:10m")
> and surprisingly, this "issue" went away and things have been running
> well ever since with no such timeouts reported (and sendmail is
> indeed waiting over the previous 10 seconds for various things to
> complete).

Very interesting.  I will check to see if this resolves a long standing
problem that I have had with milter-clamc.  (My problem has been either
the milter or Clamd apparently dying out as far as Sendmail is
concerned, yet the rest of the system (read:  clamc) could use Clamd
just fine.

Have you passed any of your upstream findings to any more prominent
Sendmail groups (i.e. comp.mail.sendmail (haven't seen it there)) to see
if Claus and / or any one else has any input to this end?  If you would
like, I'm willing to cross post, just say the word.

Grant. . . .

Lists Index Date Thread Search