[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1801
From: Christian 'CBE' Benner
Date: 2007-10-28 09:46:07 -0400
Subject: Re: Milter-7bit for Windows Printable Characters

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Hm,

just got to read again my whitepapers and RFCs and also base64 and I =
believe there's nox high bit char in base64 encoded messages.
base64 is encoding 8bit messages to 7bit messages for transfering trough =
MTAs which are'nt abled to work with high bit messages.

So it's encoding an >127 char into special char and two 7bit chars which =
represents the 8bit char.

e.g.:

cSw1m07j4JbptLdfoKkYx7pak1mAtYzcW6E1hcVhhfZu7HcMwoaHF5va86kmH1lMwq5E2mpSs=
GBJ
UZNPMMCvR2nulbSOZKx1LC+0hslmawgIGloLxg6HjNJyNrUiHlpHkhMyeDocIFLODy+EZWOwY=
XUx

which is a based64 encoded string with some 8bit chars and other stuff.
There're only 7bit chars visivible which is the basic to transfer such =
messages trough the network (to other MTAs).

8Bit chars in Headers are not supported (and never'll be supported =
'cause if the header is preworked the MTAs does'nt have any knowledge =
about a MIME or given charset in some header lines below (means - if the =
charset is recognized the first header is passed trough like senders =
name "Jo=E4kinnen Finnl=E4ndle" <joakinn.finnlaendle@fi> for example.).

hmmm....=20

will goin' on to read the RFCs parts next week...

cheers
Chris
=20

          http://www.snertsoft.com/