[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1798
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2007-10-28 07:47:46 -0400
Subject: Re: Milter-7bit for Windows Printable Characters

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Jim Hermann - UUN Hostmaster wrote:
> How can I configure or modify milter-7bit to accept Windows Printable
> Characters with decimal values 128-159?

You can't.

If there are 8-bit characters in a message, then the mail client must
properly specify MIME headers to signal 8-bit data. For example:

milter-7bit is an RFC conformance enforcement milter and recognises the
Content-Transfer-Encoding of each MIME part and acts accordingly. You
can only white list hosts, networks, or senders via access.db.

The RFC 2045 et al. clearly states that in the absence of the
Content-Transfer-Encoding header, the message is assumed to be 7-bit in
order to maintain historical backwards compatibility when many mail
systems were not 8-bit clean and for crossing been different networks
using different encodings, etc. BITNET, DECNET, TYMNET, etc. come to mind.

For example Hotmail system is known to be broken despite having reported
this issue on several occasions.  They consistently send out messages
with the "registered" symbol instead of using the HTML entity ® for
the symbol or specify the correct MIME encoding. A 60 second fix to
change one byte and they can't be arsed to do anything about it. So
typically you need to specify:

	milter-7bit-connect:hotmail.com		OK

But that doesn't solve cases where someone forwards a Hotmail message
containing the brokenness.

--
Anthony C Howe          Skype: SirWumpus                    SnertSoft
+33 6 11 89 73 78         ICQ: 7116561          BarricadeMX & Milters

Lists Index Date Thread Search