[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1661
From: Jim Hermann - UUN Hostmaster
Date: 2007-08-27 14:39:43 -0400
Subject: Re: Milter for delaying email to a blocking ISP.

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

> Jim Hermann - UUN Hostmaster wrote:
> > The blocking ISP uses response code 554 Service
> Unavailable, which my
> > sendmail interprets as a Permanent Error and bounces the
> email.  It does not
> > queue the message until later.  Here are the transcripts:
>
> Calling ahead to MXes outside your control or client base is
> pointless.
> In the above case calling-ahead to AOL.com will probably get you
> blacklisted, because they will see the call-ahead as a
> dictionary attack.

True.  There is that risk, especially since Sendmail retries dozens of times
when email is delayed.  I am not using milter-ahead yet.  What I need is a
switch that stops sending email to AOL after they bounce the first email
message.  Do you have a milter that would do that?

> Also correctly setting up SPF records for your domains and
> outbound mail
> hosts helps to some degree with AOL, Gmail, and probably others.

I have Hard-Fail SPF records for all domains.  Good advice.

> I would recommend joining AOL's Feedback Loop service and
> likewise for
> Comcast if they have one.

I am a long-time participant in the AOL Feedback Loop and AOL Whitelist
service.  Also, I have been approved for a Comcast Whitelist.
Unfortunately, they don't always follow their own whitelists.  One or twice
a year, they decide to over-ride their own whitelist.

Jim
-----
Jim Hermann <hostmaster@UUism.net>
UUism Networks <http://www.UUism.net>
Ministering to the Needs of Online UUs
Web Hosting, Email Services, Mailing Lists
-----

Lists Index Date Thread Search