[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1658
From: Jim Hermann - UUN Hostmaster
Date: 2007-08-27 10:19:18 -0400
Subject: Re: Milter for delaying email to a blocking ISP.

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

> Jim Hermann - UUN Hostmaster wrote:
> > Could I use milter-ahead in backup-mx mode to check if the
> ISP is available
> > and queue the email message until the ISP stops blocking my
> email server? Or
> > is there another method?
>
> If you're talking outbound, then milter-ahead would not be
> the correct
> method, just let sendmail queue the message until it succeeds
> or expires.

The blocking ISP uses response code 554 Service Unavailable, which my
sendmail interprets as a Permanent Error and bounces the email.  It does not
queue the message until later.  Here are the transcripts:

... while talking to mailin-02.mx.aol.com.:
>>> DATA
<<< 554-:  (RLY:CS4) http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rlycs4.html
<<< 554 TRANSACTION FAILED
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

... while talking to gateway-r2.comcast.net.:
>>> MAIL From:<xxx@xxx> SIZE=2222
<<< 550 69.94.104.190 blocked by ldap:ou=rblmx,dc=comcast,dc=net -> BL003
Blocked for spam. Please see
http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=SecurityMail_Policy18627
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

I was hoping to get milter-ahead to delay the email until later.

Jim

Lists Index Date Thread Search