[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1612
From: Chris Burton
Date: 2007-06-05 07:33:59 -0400
Subject: milter-spiff not using TCP with truncated DNS replies?

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Hi,
 I've been marking mail headers with milter-spiff and noticed I had one come
through that looked valid (to me anyway).

Envelope was <USER@citigroup.com> via 199.67.203.181 and the helo used was
"mail.citigroup.com"

The outcome in the message was:
Received-SPF: Pass; receiver=server; client-ip=199.67.203.181;
envelope-from=<USER@citigroup.com>
Received-SPF: SoftFail; receiver=server; client-ip=199.67.203.181;
helo=mail.citigroup.com

Looking up the TXT for mail.citigroup.com I get:
mail.citigroup.com text "v=spf1 a:mail.citigroup.com ~all"

199.67.203.181 is listed as an A record for mail.citigroup.com, which as far
as I understand means it shouldn't have been a SoftFail?

I'm not sure if I'm missing something else but the only reason I could see
for this happening was if milter-spiff only used UDP queries to fetch the A
records and the IP used wasn't in the listed due to the reply being
truncated?

Chris.

Lists Index Date Thread Search