[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1560
From: Ben Spencer
Date: 2007-04-17 21:38:03 -0400
Subject: Re: milter-spamc: Multiple spamd servers?

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

> I don't think I would want the client application to try to do the
load
> balancing.  There is too much control that is lost if it does.  I.e. a
> central load balancer can add or remove processing nodes on the fly
with
> out reconfiguring any thing client side.  If you had the client do the
> load balancing, you would have to role out a new config or some how
> instruct the clients to re-resolve the name to IP.

Interesting then that spamc actually will take a list of servers and
load balance between them (at least per the documentation). I assume
that it is fairly "dumb" though as it tries to contact non-existant
hosts or down hosts. While it may be best to not load balance in the
application, I am not sure how many people actually have a load balancer
which can handle such traffic. Maybe we are unique in that though.

benji

Lists Index Date Thread Search