[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1555
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2007-04-17 10:42:16 -0400
Subject: Re: milter-spamc: Multiple spamd servers?

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Grant Taylor wrote:
> On 04/17/07 06:41, Anthony Howe wrote:
>> Currently milter-spamc assumes only one spamd server. I've never had a
>> request to support more than one in either round-robin or first
>> answering in list order.
>
> What sort of state is maintained between transactions with the spamd
> server?  More specifically, would it be feasible to have the IP address

milter-spamd uses one spamd connection per message. A transaction
consists of sending SPAMD protocol headers and message content, wait for
and read reply, close spamd connection.

> of the spamd server(s) be that of a virtual IP of a load balancer that
> could in turn send the traffic to multiple back end spamd daemons (on
> one or more hosts)?

In theory I think it could be load balanced.  However, I would not do
the load balancing in milter-spamd (at least not at first). I'd probably
opt to implement round-robin and leave load balancing to a suitable
appliance.

--
Anthony C Howe          Skype: SirWumpus                    SnertSoft
+33 6 11 89 73 78         AIM: SirWumpus    Sendmail Milter Solutions

Lists Index Date Thread Search