[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1546
From: Ben Spencer
Date: 2007-04-17 06:37:27 -0400
Subject: Sendmail's processing of milters

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

I am trying to get a better understanding how sendmail works with
milters. I figure this is as good of a forum as any.

From looking at logs, it seems as if the milters are initiated at the
same time by sendmail and the milter checks are a parallel. Sendmail
then checks the results of the milters in the order in which the milters
are listed in the mc/cf. If a failure or delay response happens, then
sendmail aborts any outstanding milters and responds with the results of
the milter which caused the exception.

As a result of this process, it is common for milters to actually abort
before they have completed their processing (due to milters above them
responding with a delay or reject) and I shouldn't be concerned about
abort type of messages in the logs?

benji

---
Benji Spencer