[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1433
From: Grant Taylor
Date: 2007-02-08 11:21:46 -0500
Subject: Re: Per user settings

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Derek J. Balling wrote:
> *TODAY* it is, because (again, thankfully) there aren't that many
> misguided sysadmins implementing it.
>
> *TOMORROW*, if it should ever become prevalent, those spammers are going
> to start using real addresses. And then all your verifications will
> happily succeed, eliminating its usefulness as a check, but causing
> great pains to the owners of the addresses used in the envelope senders.

Sender verification is not only a way to stop spam, however presently it
does have a side effect of doing that some of the time.  Sender
verification is more useful in verifying that there is a place
successfully to send a bounce so that it will not sit in the outbound
mail queue.

> Yes, I will, because I recognize that the long-term ramifications of
> what you're describing are a *worse* place to be than where we are now,
> not a better one.

That is your opinion, which you are allowed to have.  It is also one
which I happen to disagree with.

> Credentials: I used to work for a large webmail provider who you
> mentioned doesn't presently use SPF records, so I tend to think about
> "how things scale" to a much larger extent than most subscribers to this
> list may be used to dealing with.

You must have worked for the provider that does things that are in my
opinion backwards and counter productive with the way the rest of the
world (as far as I know) tries to manage spam and mailing lists in
addition to other things.  Forgive me if I don't put as much stock in
your credibility other than possibly logical discussions.  The one thing
that you might have from the company I believe you worked for is the
fact that you have experience dealing with things on a much larger level
in such a way that they will function with out putting too much load on
the systems.  However it is questionable if you were indeed doing as
much as you should have been to thwart spam or not.  It is also
questionable if said company had a policy change to be to accept and tag
spam rather than rejecting it to avoid possible legal ramifications,
which I construe as counter productive to end users but good for business.

Credentials:  I'm an email administrator, how big how small does not matter.

Grant. . . .

Lists Index Date Thread Search