[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1419
From: Grant Taylor
Date: 2007-02-06 12:07:50 -0500
Subject: Re: Per user settings

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Derek J. Balling wrote:
> If you're using milter-spamc, you can
>
> 	max-untrusted=1
>
> to the options, so that untrusted users can only send 1 RCPT (all others
> get 4XX'ed).

*nod*  This will likely achieve your desired result with some draw backs.

> I think that this is the "happy medium" so you don't have to
> accept-then-bounce, but you can also get per-user options, which is why
> I requested it in the first place. Perhaps it might be useful to bundle
> that option into other milters as well, Anthony?

One really *BIG* problem with this is that an SMTP client can not send
to multiple clients at a time.  Thus if you have an email inbound to a
server destined to 10 different recipients with a multi megabyte
attachment, it will have to be transfered to the server for each
recipient.  This is drastically different than a SMTP client being able
to list all the recipients in one envelope and transfer the message one
time.  If you say N recipients with a size of S, the total transfer will
be at least N*S verses the possible S+<small amount of overhead>.  I
think the draw backs of this are self explanatory for all parties involved.

If you are wanting individual recipient settings, I'd suggest that you
run Milter-Sender on the main inbound server so that you have a verified
sending email address to successfully bounce things to.  Then have an
internal server that uses the max number of recipients per message of 1
so that you can use individual settings.  This internal transfer between
MTAs will be much faster and much less resource consuming than relying
on a single transfer across the internet connection.

Just my $.02 worth.

Grant. . . .

Lists Index Date Thread Search