[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1417
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2007-02-06 11:52:58 -0500
Subject: Re: Per user settings

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Derek J. Balling wrote:
> If you're using milter-spamc, you can
>
> 	max-untrusted=1
>
> to the options, so that untrusted users can only send 1 RCPT (all others
> get 4XX'ed).
>
> I think that this is the "happy medium" so you don't have to
> accept-then-bounce, but you can also get per-user options, which is why
> I requested it in the first place. Perhaps it might be useful to bundle
> that option into other milters as well, Anthony?

Hmm. I don't think it does what you expect or both our memories have
gone funny since that request was commissioned. The problem with this
option is that some MTA or MUA will abort a message if any recipient is
rejected, not all continue to deliver with those that were accepted.

I certainly can look into something similar, but the typical behaviour
for B/W listing has been if any recipient is white listed, then its
white listed for all recipients, which typically means skipping the
milter's behaviour. I'll have to refresh my memory as how this option
works in milter-spamc.

In a content filter, one possibility is to record those that B/W list
and after you have a filter result following the final dot, if it would
be rejected as spam, then remove those recipients that are not white
listed from the deliver list. The problem with this method is that the
client MTA gets no feedback as to which recipients were refused, which
would mean the milter has to generate an DSN to the sender.

> Just thinking out loud....

Yep. Marriage hasn't changed you I see ;-)

--
Anthony C Howe          Skype: SirWumpus                    SnertSoft
+33 6 11 89 73 78         AIM: SirWumpus    Sendmail Milter Solutions

Lists Index Date Thread Search