[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1389
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2007-01-09 03:26:25 -0500
Subject: Re: milter-* access.db "Sender rejected" errors

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Derek J. Balling wrote:
> When milter-* is enabled, the sending site sees:
>
> MAIL FROM:<myexwife@yahoo.com>
> 550 5.7.1 <myexwife@yahoo.com>... sender blocked
>
> ... but if I disable all the milter-* functionality, I get exactly
> what I'd expect:
>
> MAIL FROM:<myexwife@yahoo.com>
> 250 2.1.0 <myexwife@yahoo.com>... Sender ok
> RCPT TO:<dredd@megacity.org>
> 550 5.0.0 <dredd@megacity.org>... Go away and get a life of your own.
>
> So, two questions:
>
> [1] Why are the milters bothering with this stuff at all? Sendmail
> will take care of this stuff for you, so why are the milters meddling?

The milters are not meddling. This was by design and has been this way
for about 4 years now. Most of the pre-DATA milters like milter-sender,
act on REJECT or ERROR etc. Other post-DATA content based milters do
not, only using the whitelust aspect the entries.

> [2] How can I disable this behavior, so that I can let sendmail do
> what I tell it to do, and so the milters can do what they I expect
> them to be doing, and not other random things?

It's not random. It's documented. To prevent a milter from reading the
sendmail access entries use:

milter-NAME-connect: 	SKIP
milter-NAME-from: 	SKIP
milter-NAME-to: 	SKIP

This stops looks into the sendmail tags as documented in the man pages.

--
Anthony C Howe          Skype: SirWumpus                    SnertSoft
+33 6 11 89 73 78         AIM: SirWumpus    Sendmail Milter Solutions

Lists Index Date Thread Search