[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1387
From: Derek J. Balling
Date: 2007-01-06 19:27:57 -0500
Subject: milter-* access.db "Sender rejected" errors

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Anthony,

I have a couple entries like so in my /etc/mail/access file:

From:myexwife@yahoo.com                 550 Go away and get a life of
your own.

However, because the milter-* milters insist on trying to do
sendmail's job for it, if I let them have their way, they will do the
rejection instead of sendmail.

The *problem* is that they do it *wrong*... :-)

When milter-* is enabled, the sending site sees:

MAIL FROM:<myexwife@yahoo.com>
550 5.7.1 <myexwife@yahoo.com>... sender blocked

... but if I disable all the milter-* functionality, I get exactly
what I'd expect:

MAIL FROM:<myexwife@yahoo.com>
250 2.1.0 <myexwife@yahoo.com>... Sender ok
RCPT TO:<dredd@megacity.org>
550 5.0.0 <dredd@megacity.org>... Go away and get a life of your own.

So, two questions:

[1] Why are the milters bothering with this stuff at all? Sendmail
will take care of this stuff for you, so why are the milters meddling?
[2] How can I disable this behavior, so that I can let sendmail do
what I tell it to do, and so the milters can do what they I expect
them to be doing, and not other random things?

Cheers,

Lists Index Date Thread Search