[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1320
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2006-12-02 04:03:37 -0500
Subject: Re: [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] White list this list...

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support
> subscribers and the two should NOT have close / identical information
> (headers) but rather similar content.  This belief is where / how I have
> come to the decisions / conclusions that I have stated above.  All of which
> are open for interpretation / opinion of course.  ;)

Read RFC 2822 concerning From and Sender headers. Retaining the original
sender info as the From and specify a Sender header for the MLM is
correct IMO and is what Ecartis does.

I'm of the opposite opinion concerning the removal of headers, the MLM
is a form of relay / forwarder, so it should not drop headers. It's also
problematic as to which headers should be dropped and it's not an option
of the MLM I use.

It could be argued that an MLM is not a proper MTA, therefore not
subject to RFC 2821 requirements for adding a Received header, but since
the mail is going to pass through the MLM and be resubmitted to
Sendmail, who will add a new Received header, you kind of want to know
who had the message between the two instances of Sendmail.

Also note that RFC 2821 specifies only two requirements for Received
headers a) that the content be word pairs like "from mx.snert.net", "by
mx.snert.net", or "with ESMTP" (note that RFC 2822 header comments don't
count); b) that the header end with a semi-colon and time stamp as
specified by RFC 2822. Beyond that there is no standard format
concerning what should / can appear in a Received header so the
following are all correct:

+0100 (CET)

--
Anthony C Howe          Skype: SirWumpus                    SnertSoft
+33 6 11 89 73 78         AIM: SirWumpus    Sendmail Milter Solutions

Lists Index Date Thread Search