[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1309
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2006-11-30 04:40:50 -0500
Subject: Re: milter-gris still blacklisting the same tripel

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Michael Elliott wrote:
> # Cache garbadge collection frequency.
> cache-gc-frequency=250
>
> has part to do with it I think.  I generally see it do its first flush at about
> 100 messages processed.  I haven't looked at the code deep enough to know what
> the triggers are.

Some history. Many of my older milters do this:

	cache-gc-frequency
		fires on the trailing edge after N connections;
		frequency of connections drives updates

More recent milters:

	cache-gc-interval
		fires a gc thread on the first connection after
		N seconds; better, more predicatable, but not perfect.

Even more recent and will eventually replace the above methods when the
new cache code is migrated to all the milters using a cache:

	cache-gc-interval
		independent timer thread that fire almost immediate
		after N seconds; best solution, predictable, and more
		accurate

Why I didn't do it the 3rd way the first time way back when can probably
be put down to laziness and certain aversion to threads and the often
complex issues in debugging them.

--
Anthony C Howe          Skype: SirWumpus                    SnertSoft
+33 6 11 89 73 78         AIM: SirWumpus    Sendmail Milter Solutions

Lists Index Date Thread Search