[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1299
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2006-11-29 09:05:58 -0500
Subject: Re: ETRN support for milter-gris

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Mathias Koerber wrote:
> here is an idea to limit the impact of greylisting
> on delivery time.
>
> milter-gris could, optionally, execute an
>     ETRN recipient-address
> on a remote server once the delaytime is over,
> so that servers which support ETRN begin delivering
> the held email immediately.
> This may help reduce the possibly long delays
> servers have for retrying by actively telling them
> when they can try again..

No. This is not practical. Not all servers offer ETRN and what do you do
about dynamic IP machines? Who do you choose to notify? Connecting to
many different machines to "notify" them is that the delay period is
over is just wrong.

Grey-listing is about asking a very specific question: does the sending
host implement a retry queue thus appearing well behaved? By notifying
them, you're circumventing the answer to that question.

Anyway. I've already implemented two new optimisations that will improve
mail throughput.

--
Anthony C Howe          Skype: SirWumpus                    SnertSoft
+33 6 11 89 73 78         AIM: SirWumpus    Sendmail Milter Solutions

Lists Index Date Thread Search