[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1202
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2006-10-23 05:26:25 -0400
Subject: Re: milter-cli and Image OCR?

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Richard McLean wrote:
> Just wondering, has anyone implemented milter-cli to do image
> OCR for the annoying "spam in an image" emails that seem to
> have exploded the last couple of weeks?
>
> Something similar to the SpamAssassin plug-in OcrPlugin
> <http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/OcrPlugin>

I've not tried it myself. Something like that could be done easily
enough. However, I would try something like the "image info" plugin,
which would be more efficient. The image info technique extracts image
sizes from the inline images and computes the surface area covered. Its
faster than doing OCR, which can be processor intensive I would think.

Personally I prefer to just reject any mail that is formatted as HTML.
Plain text was perfectly fine before the M$ marketing drones thought
HTML email might be neat. Using plain text doesn't stop granny receiving
photo attachments from her grand children and would certainly cut down
on the time wasted formatting mail with anything other than a monospace
font using tab and space for alignment.

--
Anthony C Howe          Skype: SirWumpus                    SnertSoft
+33 6 11 89 73 78         AIM: SirWumpus    Sendmail Milter Solutions

Lists Index Date Thread Search