[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1073
From: Sebastian Hagedorn
Date: 2006-07-24 03:41:56 -0400
Subject: Re: Experiences with caching and milter-ahead

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

--==========2D472A849AA6DE014352==========

--On 20. Juli 2006 10:47:15 +0100 Greg Matthews <gmatt@nerc.ac.uk> wrote:

> Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:
>
>> One other thing: We use four servers for the milter in a load-balanced
>> cluster. On one of of these I had a corrupted cache, i.e. all updates
>> failed. We use RHEL 3 with its db4-4.1.25-8.1 RPM. db_verify shows:
>
> not had any problem with cache corruption. I have come across the issue
> of a target MTA rejecting a mail due to a config problem and then that
> reject is cached at my relay after the problem is solved on the target
> MTA until the ttl expires. This is unavoidable AFAICT.

Right. I've already run into this problem, which has caused me to decrease=20
the ttl ...

> The only other problem I've seen with milter-ahead is resource
> exhaustion. Unless there are tight limits on connection rates and number
> of connections etc setup within the sendmail.cf, milter-ahead can run out
> of process space and die. This is a sendmail config issue rather than a
> milter-ahead one tho.

That's taken care of. We currently use a setting of

define(`confMAX_DAEMON_CHILDREN', `750')dnl

When there's a heavy spam run that's not enough, i.e. connections are=20
temporarily rejected.
--=20
     .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Geb=E4ude 52), Zimmer 18.:.
Zentrum f=FCr angewandte Informatik - Universit=E4tsweiter Service RRZK
.:.Universit=E4t zu K=F6ln / Cologne University - Tel. +49-221-478-5587.:.
                   .:.:.:.Skype: shagedorn.:.:.:.
--==========2D472A849AA6DE014352==========

--==========2D472A849AA6DE014352==========--

Lists Index Date Thread Search