[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1036
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2006-07-15 01:56:04 -0400
Subject: Re: milter-gris and Popauth.db

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Jim Galley wrote:
> define(`POP_B4_SMTP_TAG', `')dnl
> HACK(`popauth')dnl
>
> as its preferred pop before SMTP solution. Doing some search, I believe
> it is popbsmtp.sourceforge.net, but I am uncertian (the pop-before-smtp
> commands / associated files are nowhere to be found).
>
> In any case, It seems that milter-gris isn't looking at the popauth.db
> file - since emails from clients are getting a "try again later" message
> whenever attempting to send.  Milter-gris 0.18.102 & libsnert 1.61.829
> (with --enable-pop-auth) have been installed.
>
> Has anyone else have this POP_B4_SMTP_TAG in use, or have been
> successful in getting a pop before smtp solution working with milter-gris?

The pop-before-smtp code currently implemented in the Snert milters,
specifically in libsnert smfAccessRcpt() function, was a one off request
for Mike Elliot, the notes of which are found in the contrib/ directory
of most milters.

The readme.popauth.txt refers to three possible pop-auth tool solutions:

1) http://mail.cc.umanitoba.ca/drac/	page exists, author tested

2) http://poprelay.sourceforge.net/	page exits, untested

3) http://w3.man.torun.pl/~makler/prog/poprelayd/  page exists, unknown

Now from what I understand of each of those POP login/IP detectors is
they populate a database or socketmap, which in turn is read by a
Sendmail RCPT ruleset and sets some macros. These macros must in turn be
given to the milter, specifically from looking at the smf.c source
"{popauth_info}".

So this means adding another macro to the sendmail / milter list of
communicated macros. milter-gris assumes the standard set of macros.
This article talked about the setting of macros in sendmail.mc:

http://www.snert.com/Software/ecartis/index.php?go=/milters/2006-06/959

However, those macro sets are absolute, ie. they replace the existing
lists with another and you have to know the old list in order to
maintain the defaults. The better M4 technique, demonstrated in the
milter-sender/sample.mc, is to append to the list like this:

define(`confMILTER_MACROS_ENVRCPT', confMILTER_MACROS_ENVRCPT`,
{popauth_info}')

I suspect if you add that along with the other information given by the
readme.popauth.txt into the sendmail.mc file, rebuild sendmail.cf, and
then -HUP sendmail, then your milter-gris built with --enable-popauth
compiled in, should work.

To reiterate what you mentioned before concerning building a POP-AUTH
aware milter:

	cd com/snert/src/lib
	./configure --enable-popauth
	make clean build
	cd ../milter-NAME_HERE
	./configure
	make clean build
	# Confirm presence of the {popauth_info} string.
	strings milter-NAME_HERE | grep '{popauth_info}'
	sudo make install

Note that the preferred and supported authentication method is SMTP-AUTH.

--
Anthony C Howe          Skype: SirWumpus                    SnertSoft
+33 6 11 89 73 78         AIM: SirWumpus    Sendmail Milter Solutions

Lists Index Date Thread Search