[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1016
From: G1OGY \(Dave\)
Date: 2006-07-10 04:17:59 -0400
Subject: Re: Merits of milters

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Grant Taylor wrote:

> G1OGY (Dave) wrote:
  My concern was that all the
> double-double bounces might get ~me~ noticed.
>
> By default Sendmail will never bounce a bounce, a.k.a. a
> double bounce.  Rather Sendmail will file it in the dead mail
> file.  I also believe that if Sendmail can not file dead mail
> it will leave the message in the mail queue as a Q<queue id>
> file.  You can configure Sendmail to forward double bounces
> on to a specific address if you want to.  In fact I have done
> such to make sure that dead mail does not hang around in my
> mail queues.  I just have the dead mail routed to /dev/null.

Perhaps I over-doubled.
Spam (c/w forged & incorrect rtn addr) -> TARGET -> DSN (ie:over quota/gone
away)
-> g1ogy.com MX -> local processing -> mail-store -> DSN invalid user ->
TARGET

>> Back at this keyboard after a week or two it is evident
> that milter-null has been most effective.  What I noted
> though, from the
>> maillogs, is that milter ordering is important!
>
> Milter ordering is indeed VERY important.
>
>> But then, watching the maillogs on Saturday night (more
> interesting than the TV!), I realised that while I would not
> have to deal
>> with all that rubbish in my day-to-day MUA, I ~would~ have to deal
>> with it eventually. Hmmmm!
>
> What is "it" that you will have to eventually deal with?

The exploits of Asian Teens and Funky Grandmas

> Where will you have to deal with it?

On the mailstore in the SPAM, SPAM10 or SPAM20 mailboxes (and yes! legit mail
with a score of 10+, while not commonplace, does occur for some users)

>> Obviously, sendmail is not capable of scrutinising mail
> bodies too closely thus the new plan is, in order:
>
> What are you wanting / hoping that Sendmail will / would do /
> scrutinize?

I'm not, it won't.

> Sendmail by default wants to move mail.  As
> such, Sendmail will tend to move any mail that it can.
> Sendmail tends to be more like an ISP, a bit mover, or in
> this case a mail mover.  Sendmail does not care what the mail is, or
> where it came from.

Indeed!

>> Comments invited (bouquets or brickbats equally acceptable !)
>
> MS Exchange stinks!

I've managed to avoid it.  I hasn't been too hard.

Once the new version of SA has bedded down and the log-check scripts produce
smaller output again, I'll take a look at rejecting high scoring messages.
I'm not in favour of /dev/null 'cos there's a gotcha there: "YOU deleted ~MY~
mail!?"
Whereas "I didn't like the look of it so I didn't let it in, 'security'. You
know?"
really doesn't get you much kick back.

Have fun

-D