[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 865
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2006-03-27 01:57:28 -0500
Subject: Re: 450 vs 451 error code for greylisting (milter-gris)

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

fif3 wrote:
> I've been reading some discussions about the advantages to using a
> 451 error code instead of 450 for greylisting and I was wondering
> what your take is on it, and if milter-gris might be changed any
> time soon to 451. Thanks by the way for the great work.  -s

No.

http://www.snert.org/reference/RFC-HTML/rfc2821.html#section4.2.3

A rejection response for security and/or policy reasons is a 550 code.

	550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable
	    (e.g., mailbox not found, no access, or command rejected
	    for policy reasons)

It follows then that greylisting is a temporary rejection for security
and/or policy reasons, for which 450 is used. With extended error codes
it would be:

	450 4.7.1	temporary reject for security and policy reasons
	550 5.7.1	permanent reject for security and policy reasons

--
Anthony C Howe          Skype: SirWumpus                    SnertSoft
+33 6 11 89 73 78         AIM: SirWumpus    Sendmail Milter Solutions

Lists Index Date Thread Search