[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 847
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2006-03-09 04:39:57 -0500
Subject: Re: milter-sender & milter-ahead design question...

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Grant Taylor wrote:
> I'm not sure, but I think this would / will solve a problem that I
> thought of / (sort of) ran in to today.  One of my users was trying
> to send an email and mis-typed the domain part to a very similar
> domain name.  The mis-typed domain name was indeed valid and did have
> an MX record.  However the MX record was to a FQDN that resolved to
> 127.0.0.1.  Thus if I am understanding what this does (based on your
> above paragraph) I think there would be a way to tell milter-sender /
> milter-ahead that MX 127.0.0.1 is black listed and thus do not accept
> email from any email address that would use that MX.  Am I
> understanding this correctly?  Would this be a valid use of this
> black list?

The MxReject option in milter-sender or -M in milter-ahead would prune
this from the MX list before call-back/ahead. That part of the code
still remains. What was disabled was the access.db lookups during the MX
  list pruning. I figured it worth while to remove the extra overhead to
lookup MX servers which appeared to be unused/little known feature.

> If this would indeed prevent the issue that I'm thinking of, yes.

See MxReject / -M

--
Anthony C Howe          Skype: SirWumpus                    SnertSoft
+33 6 11 89 73 78         AIM: SirWumpus    Sendmail Milter Solutions

Lists Index Date Thread Search