[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 845
From: Grant Taylor
Date: 2006-03-09 03:32:34 -0500
Subject: Re: milter-sender & milter-ahead design question...

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

> Based on a request that is pushing me towards a thought I've had for a
> long while now, I'm considering dropping from the MX pruning code used
> in milter-ahead and milter-sender the access.db lookups for blacklisted
> MX entries. My thinking is that its probably overkill / redundant give
> all my other tests and just a waste of cycles. This would not affect B/W
> listing of a connecting MX.

I'm not sure, but I think this would / will solve a problem that I thought of / (sort of)
ran in to today.  One of my users was trying to send an email and mis-typed the domain
part to a very similar domain name.  The mis-typed domain name was indeed valid and did
have an MX record.  However the MX record was to a FQDN that resolved to 127.0.0.1.  Thus
if I am understanding what this does (based on your above paragraph) I think there would
be a way to tell milter-sender / milter-ahead that MX 127.0.0.1 is black listed and thus
do not accept email from any email address that would use that MX.  Am I understanding
this correctly?  Would this be a valid use of this black list?

> I would welcome some feedback as to whether this is a feature people
> think worth keeping in call-back and call-ahead code.
>
> a) did you know about it?
> b) do you take advantage of it?
> c) would you miss it?

If this would indeed prevent the issue that I'm thinking of, yes.

> Right now, I'm inclined to disable the code, but leave it in for die hards.
>
> Comments?

Grant. . . .

Lists Index Date Thread Search