[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 799
From: Grant Taylor
Date: 2006-01-19 06:13:02 -0500
Subject: Re: Milter-Sender (v0.62) is not enabling support for the

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

> Have you ever had any thing that you _KNEW_ was working multiple months and changes
ago that you find out is now not working?  Well I *KNOW* that I had Sendmail Access DB
support working for milter-sender (v0.62) but for some reason now it is not working.  When
my milter starts up I get a line like "...access database support disabled" in
my maillog.  I apparently have stared at this issue for too long this evening / morning
and am at a complete loss.  If any one has any suggestions on as to why milter-sender
might not be enabling support for the access db file or what might be preventing it from
doing such I'd grately appreciate any feed back that you could give me.

> My sendmail and milter-sender config files can be accessed via:
>
> http://208.47.119.116/sendmail.cf
> http://208.47.119.116/milter-sender.cf
>
> Once again I appreciate any pointers that you can give me on this one as I'm
completely stumped.

Ok, I guess milter-sender's support for Sendmail's Access DB was never working the way
that I thought it was.  What I ultimately found was the problem was the way that I was
starting milter-sender.  I was relying on init to (re)spawn my milters for me.  So far I
don't know of any issues with doing such.  Apparently milter-sender starts up with
different credentials or parameters or environment settings when init starts it verses
when I manually start it.  When I manually start it milter-sender can access and utilize
the Access DB with out any problem.  However when I rely on init to start the same binary
with the same config things do not work.  So for the moment I'm just going to leave it
running by hand and see about finding out what needs to be done to get init to be able to
(re)spawn it for me later or finding another way to start it.

Anthony do you have any ideas as to why milter-sender might not want to start up correctly
if init launches it?  Possibly the lack of a user or group to run as?  If this is the case
I'll try running the binary suid and sgid as the user / group that it is to run as.

Grant. . . .

Lists Index Date Thread Search