[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 770
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2005-12-19 17:23:25 -0500
Subject: Re: milter-spiff - mail from: <>

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Gianni Arru wrote:
> Sometimes I get:
> Dec 19 19:33:31 m-node-2 milter-spiff[11022]: 01045 jBJIXUfq011021: reply 451 4.
> 4.3 sender <> via xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx SPF result TempError: DNS name not found

Next time please don't sanitise the log entries. Its hard enough to
figure out the question sometimes; doesn't help to have massaged logs.
Thankfully Derek understood what was being refeered to.

> Probably is a bounce, or not...
> My doubt is why, on a null sender address, milter-spiff gives a "DNS name not
found"
> error?

The SPF Classic draft 02 checks the null sender address against the HELO
argument (actually <postmaster@helo.arg>). See section 2.2 The MAIL FROM
Identity, paragraph 2 of:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-schlitt-spf-classic-02.txt

milter-spiff looks up the SPF entries for the HELO argument and the MAIL
FROM: domain, even when -H and -M are disabled (for logging purposes).
There is a bug corrected last week, but yet not released related to
temp. failures in this case. I've been waiting to see if there are any
more bug reporst before I put out LibSnert 1.57 to solve this.

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:

Sendmail Anti-Spam Solutions           http://www.snertsoft.com/
                                             We Serve Your Server

Lists Index Date Thread Search