[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 724
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2005-09-20 07:48:15 -0400
Subject: Re: Greylist/cache in SQL for milter-sender?

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Jeff Powell wrote:
> Here's an item for the wishlist-- the ability to store the greylist data
> and the cache in a MySQL database.  My company is thinking about using
> milter-sender but they have one problem with it.  We have two incoming
> mail servers with equal MX records, i.e., incoming mail can come to
> either of the two servers.  This is both for failover and for load
> sharing.  Both are running SpamAssassin, using Bayesian filtering with a
> MySQL database on a third server.
> It would be really nice to have milter-sender also store its data on
> that third server in a real database.  That would prevent milter-sender
> having to to a callback on one server when it has already just rejected
> it on the other server.

Install milter-sender on the 3rd server using an Internet host:port
specifier instead of the unix domain socket specifier, then specify in
the Sendmail config for the two MXes that they should consult
milter-sender via an Internet socket to the 3rd machine.

In this way you can centralise the cache used by milter-sender. NOTE
that a copy of the access.db should be found on the 3rd server or
accessible by NFS for B/W list support.

ANY milter (not just Snert milters) can be centralised in this manner,
since its a base functionality of libmilter and Sendmail.

See the milter-sender documentation and sendmail libmilter documentation
about this.

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:

Sendmail Anti-Spam Solutions           http://www.snertsoft.com/
                                             We Serve Your Server

Lists Index Date Thread Search