[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 674
From: cc
Date: 2005-08-01 21:56:01 -0400
Subject: Re: sender question

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Anthony Howe wrote:

>the SMTP transaction. An upcoming release will have a new CLI for the
>core test that could be scripted to do something like you suggest.
>However, I see little utility in testing the information in other

Or possibly this could be another milter idea?   Since milter-sender's
primary
chore is to determine the legitimacy of the connection,  another milter
can take
the received headers and do a check on them.    I realize that received
headers
can be forged and when you're talking about spam directly from the
'horse's mouth'
so to speak, the whole received headers list is/can be bogus.

But under certain conditions, since spam also hit the backup mail
server, and
if the backup mail server doesn't have milter-sender (or similar) installed,
the main mail server will get hit by spam forwarded via the backup server.
This is of my current problems right now.  After disabling the milter-sender
from the backup server,  the flow of spam has increased somewhat.

While I don't think it's necessary to check all the received headers,
possibly because after the 2nd received header,  if the 2nd last
received header is bogus, the rest  are bogus.  :)

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Ed

Lists Index Date Thread Search