[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 648
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2005-07-08 03:04:58 -0400
Subject: Re: Sargent Slaughter! Report! New milter-report utility.

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Taylor, Grant wrote:
> I really like the idea of this milter a lot.  However I would like it
> even better if you could have the report for each user sent to an
> administrative account rather than the individual user / recipient

This has been suggested and being consider. However, the point of this
milter is to notify the users, not the admin., because I got tired of
being asked the question "How can a I know what's being rejected by your
filters?"

Derek did pointed out that during a testing phase it would be best to
direct the reports to the administrator until satisified with it
configuration.

There are some issues in doing this though. The way the data is
structured, I'd end up sending <postmaster> one email per recipient;
sending one master report might not be possible without resorting to
temporary file to build that report. Also when the reports are emailed,
unknown users (typically as the result of name dictionary attacks) are
identified at that time and dropped; in building a master report, that
filtering would not occur, resulting in lots of bogus entries to the
postmaster report. Anyways. I'll have to think about this.

> account.  One better would be if you could support user+detail format
> addresses in the destination of this report such that you would send
> to <administrative account>+<user account>@<administrative account
> domain>.  I have fond user+detail style email address formats to be
> VERY helpful.

I'll add it to the list, but remember that if you relay mail for users
on another server, the actual recipient user might not be unique so,

	admin+email_domain@admin.domain

might be what you get in the end. Anyways, I have functions to support
this stuff for what I do in milters-spamc and -bcc, so if I choose to
provide a send-only-postmaster option then plus-details should be possible.

But it will have to wait until after my trip next week.

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:

Sendmail Anti-Spam Solutions           http://www.snertsoft.com/
                                             We Serve Your Server

Lists Index Date Thread Search