[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 559
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2005-05-17 16:50:04 -0400
Subject: Re: Problem (mis-configuration?) with Milter-Sender (v0.62)

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Taylor, Grant wrote:
> Hi, I'm having a problem with Milter-Sender (v0.62) in the fact that
> I'm not able to tune the GreyListRejectCount the way that I want to.

Disable GreyListRejectCount. I found while using it at work that there
are too many brain dead mail servers that use queue retry times on the
order seconds. As I recall they were the pointy-clicky variety operated
by people who haven't a clue how to run a mail server and think "hey!
wow! I have this ultra whizz bang super machine with all these free
cycles to burn. I'll set the queue retry time to 10 seconds".

GreyListRejectCount will generate lots of false positives for these
annal retentive machines. That is why its been disabled and will
probably be removed.

> Namely I'm having a problem setting the GreyListRejectCount to any
> value higher than a single digit, or at least that's what I think is

If you want to play with GreyListRejectCount, you have to adjust your
GreyListBlockTime too, but given the above situation I noted from badly
configured yet legitimate mail servers, its almost impossible to get it
right. Set GreyListRejectCount=0.

> happening.  I've been ""fighting this problem for a while on my
> server as a low priority type issue.  Well apparently others in my
> company have decided that it is more important.  I left the default
> value of 4 (if memory serves) for a good while > 6 months.  Recently
> we have been getting emails from a company (university) that is

I would be surprised that university sys.admins. would set mail queue
retry times so short. Somebody there needs a clue.

> insisting on sending multiple times a minute which will easily role
> over 4 in 10 minutes (default grey list duration).  I have tried
> increasing the GreyListRejectCount value to 20 and was seeing people
> get the ""rejected, too many retry attempts message after 2 retry
> attempts.  Thus I thought there was a chance that Milter-Sender might
>  have only been honoring the first digit of the number so I set the

Nope. Any value should be possible.

> value to 9 in an attempt to get higher than 4, but this still is not
> high enough for our needs.  Are there any known problems with the
> GreyListRejectCount?  If you need any additional information please

I know of no problems in the code (but I will look since I haven't
decided whether to ripe it out yet or not). Only in its application as a
technique.

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:

in the mist of night / by the silent sea / a siren calls - Anthony

Lists Index Date Thread Search