[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 502
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2005-04-15 05:15:36 -0400
Subject: Re: milter-spamc, is it possible to make the error message

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

YourShop SA Hosting wrote:
> Spamd probably wasn't available and I got the following message in
> the log of the client:
>
> Apr 14 09:05:01 gamma sm-mta[442]: j3E751iB000442: Milter
> (milter-spamc): error connecting to filter: Connection refused by
> /var/lib/milter-spamc/socket

This is a Sendmail message stating that it can't connect to the milter.
Did the milter die, crash, or is it extremely busy with SpamAssassin
(spamd)?

I believe I've written about this before here and on the SAGE mailing
list. I've also written an article for an upcoming issue of the USENIX
magazine ;login: "Shoot the Messenger: Some Techniques for Spam
Control". In the article I talk about problems with SpamAssassin being
"the pig of a Perl process from hell".

I suggest looking at the -K option:

http://www.milter.info/milter-spamc/index.shtml#MaxKiloBytes

Also if you have LARGE Bayes databases forming on your server, consider
disabling the rebuilding of the spamd Bayes files per message and
instead setup a cronjob to do it at off-peak times.

> Has anyone an idea whether it's possible to make milter-spamc less
> verbose in what it sends to the client ?

I don't follow the question. Who is the client here? Do you mean the
connection SMTP client, the milter-spamc client of spamd, or the end
user recipient / customer / client receiving the message?

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:

"held in my arms / his sun washed face / eyes closed" - Anthony

Lists Index Date Thread Search