[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 468
From: Steffan Vigano
Date: 2005-04-05 20:03:01 -0400
Subject: milter-sender 'CacheAcceptTTL' theoretical limit

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

First off.... thanks for a wonderful tool...   I could spend hours just
watching the logs float by with all the denials.

Just wondering what the theoretical limit might be on the
"CacheAcceptTTL" option.   We'd like to set it really high to avoid
repeated greylisting of legitimate mailers, without going through and
whitelisting all possible domains.   Seems we deal with a lot of ISP's
that deliver the temporary error message back to the senders, causing
confusion on their part because they don't fully understand (or even
read) the message.

Server and site background info--   FreeBSD 4.8, Dual 2.4ghz CPU, 2 GB
mem, lot's of disk, using BDB.  (not sure how to check DBD version)
Before implementing milter-sender we processed ~35,000 emails a day, now
we only accept and process ~5,000.   We greylist ~15,000 a day, and have
about ~1,100 that get to "upgrading grey listing" status.   It's been
runnning for about a week now and so far the DB is just over 2MB.    I'm
not worried about disk size, but rather potential sluggishness in lookups.

I have it currently setup as such, with no side effects so far:

> CacheAcceptTTL=7776000
> CacheGcFrequency=1000
> CacheGreyListTTL=86400
> CacheHashBucketDensity=75

That equals 90 days on the CacheAcceptTTL.....    Any thoughts?

Thanks again... Keep up the great work.
-Steffan

Lists Index Date Thread Search