[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 402
From: Todd Pytel
Date: 2005-03-17 18:30:42 -0500
Subject: Re: milter-ahead runs fine, then dies on OpenBSD

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 09:13:02 +0100
Anthony Howe <achowe@snert.com> wrote:

> FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and I presume NetBSD insist on using really old
> Berkeley DB 1.85, which Keith Bostic wrote and he has told me has
> several design problems and is no longer supported by him.

OK. I had seen the mention of the old DB as a problem in the older post
that I referred to, but the implication of that thread was that libsnert
1.40 should have worked around it.

> All my efforts to narrow down the BDB cache problem in milter-sender
> (and my other milters that use a cache) points to the BDB 1.85
> library, not the milter. I've grown so feedup with *BSD systems
> refusal to move forward in time in this one aspect, that
> milter-sender's default caching mode for *BSD is now "flatfile".
>
> This should have been the case in milter-ahead 0.8 and libsnert 1.40.
> So use the -z option to switch the cache type and path. For example:
>
> 	-z flatfile,/path/to/cache.txt

Milter-ahead was correctly following the default, which was a flatfile
as you said. I had checked that out after reading the old posts about
FreeBSD.

> However, I later found two serious Cache flatfile related bugs in
> LibSnert 1.40 that are fixed in 1.41, which has yet to be released.
> Contact me to get access to a pre-release libsnert 1.41 and a small
> patch for milter-ahead.c.

If you could send them my way, that would be great. I read Claudio's
post and don't mind recompiling per se, but OpenBSD sendmail source
doesn't use the m4 build configuration the way the original tarball
does, and I can't find any clear directions online as to how to modify
the build properly. I could probably find my way through all the
Makefiles eventually, but if 1.41 and a milter-ahead patch would work
then that would be a lot simpler.

Thanks for the assistance,
Todd Pytel

Lists Index Date Thread Search