[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 401
From: Chris M. Miller
Date: 2005-03-17 09:17:39 -0500
Subject: Re: milter-sender gets 550 when mx misunderstands as

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Scott Presnell wrote:

> No, you understand correctly... but in this case it's not an intentional
> deception, its a misconfigured MX server (I know the e-mail to be
> legitimate).
>
> I was looking for a work around for the case where it's a "relay denied"
> (in the same way there's a work around for "they're blocking our IP")
> as opposed an affirmative denial based on the user "no I don't know that
user"
> or "user adminstratively deined"
>
> I guess I'll hammer on the remote postmaster some more. :-/

   But.. but.. if it's as simple as a misconfiguration, then isn't it a
misconfiguration that's causing the whole domain to not get any e-mail
(since incoming e-mail for that domain is rejected by its MX servers)? So,
in turn, isn't the customer a little upset by that? That seems like the
sort of misconfiguration which should be corrected in a time-scale of
minutes to hours.

   On the other hand, maybe either the customer doesn't intend to receive
e-mail at that domain or the domain is really rejecting the messages based
on the null sender. If either of these are the case, I would say again
that milter-sender's behaviour is dead-on correct. :)

Chris

Lists Index Date Thread Search