[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 398
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2005-03-17 04:29:01 -0500
Subject: Re: Milter-Date (0.12 (beta)) AccessDB white listing problem...

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Grant Taylor wrote:
> Hi, I'm having a slight problem with Milter-Date 0.12 (beta) in that
> I don't think it is honoring AccessDB white listing in any form. I
 > presently have the following entries in /etc/mail/access:
>
> --------------------------------------
> Milter-Date-From:user@domain.tld    ok

a) Are you using ``OK'' or ``ok''? The right-hand-side IS case sensitive.

> user@domain.tld ok
> @domain.tld	ok
> aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd ok
> Milter-Date-From:eee.fff.ggg.hhh    ok
> --------------------------------------
>
> Where user@domain.tld is the email address of my client's customer
that is trying to send to my server from the ip of aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd.
eee.fff.ggg.hhh is the ip address of my system that I used for testing.
When I have my client's customer try to send an email to any email
address on my server they get a bounce stating "550 5.7.1 time travel
between hops". In an effort to try to identify which system in the email

b) Have you had them check their system clock AND time zone? Might be
easier to have them fix it.

route had the incorrect time I tried adding the 1st line above to my
access db and then do "makemap /etc/mail/access < /etc/mail/access" as
is standard for the access db. When my client's customer subsequently
tries sending an email to me directly for testing purposes they still
get the "...time travel between hops" message. As such I tried setting
my clock on my system ahead by two hours and seeing if I did get a
bounce message stating that my clock was off "550 5.7.1 message is from
the future, please check your computer's date, time, and time-zone" and
I did
> . Thus I knew that I could try testing a white list of my self. The
test to white list my self with an ip of eee.fff.ggg.hhh still bounced
with the same message of "...message is from the future..." thus leading
me to the conclusion that I made an error white listing my self or that
white listing is not working correctly.

> Any insight or help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

c) Have you tried enabling more log details with

	-v info,trace,parse,database
or
	-v all

With -v database you will see the sequence of DB lookups in the maillog.
Remember, you might have to change /etc/syslog.conf in order to see
debug level messages:

	mail.info		/path/to/log
	mail.*			/path/to/log

Then kill -HUP syslogd.

d) What sort of system is it? Might it be a Mandrake Linux or similar
system that checks and sets file owner and permissions on key files,
like access.db? Verify the file ownership and permissions to make sure
milter-date can actually read the access.db file, ie. that milter-date
and access.db are in the same group (smmsp or milter depending whether
its older or newer release) and that access.db is group readable. If you
restart milter-date and check the logs, you should see a log warning
message if the access.db is not readable by the milter.

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:

"held in my arms / his sun washed face / eyes closed" - Anthony

Lists Index Date Thread Search