[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 337
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2005-02-17 06:31:04 -0500
Subject: Re: user account fishing

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Aaron Berg wrote:
> Does anyone know of an effective way to block ip addresses for some
> period of time if they have requested to send to say 10 user unknowns in
> some period of time?
> Thanks for any input,
> Aaron

This was something I had considered for milter-limit (milter-miss was
the project idea), but one of the difficult things with the milter API
is finding out the reason a message is rejected or aborted by Sendmail
or another milter, because the API has no logging, stats, or reporting
features for milters to collect such information. Best you can do in a
milter is say something like:

	N aborts per IP / domain / sender and you auto blacklist

xxfi_abort is called for each milter when a message fail to be accepted,
but doesn't say why.

If people think this interesting, I can consider resuming the idea once
again.

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:

"held in my arms / his sun washed face / eyes closed" - Anthony

Lists Index Date Thread Search