[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 333
From: Rose, Bobby
Date: 2005-02-13 13:29:50 -0500
Subject: Milter-Sender question

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Is it possible to have milter-sender to 550 failed DNS lookups?  I have
this stupid issue where Univ of Michigan's MX's for their email
forwarding service doesn't do any kind of sendmail DNS checks.  So they
accept bogus domains and such and relay the junk on.  The problem is
that when milter-sender 450s these guys, those Umich servers keep trying
over and over again until they reach their timeout.  The end result is
that we get 1000s of connections from them and most of it is these
resend attempts.  They ignored my complaints until I blocked them and
some users complained at which I finally got a response from their
postmaster but I doubt they are going to do anything about it.  If I
could 550 this junk being forwarded thru them then that should stop it.
I know that DNS failures should be temp but 450ing them just leads to
DoS.

Or if someone knows of a sendmail recipe that might help that would be
cool too.

Thanks
Bobby Rose

Lists Index Date Thread Search