[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 302
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2005-01-07 06:36:38 -0500
Subject: Re: performance of milter-ahead?

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Anke Breeuwsma wrote:

> I want to have a TTL of 4-8 hours because our e-mailaddresses change
> regularly. Does anyone have some experience with performance of
> milter-ahead with approx. the same number of users? I'm a little worried
>   if milter-ahead can cope with this number of emailaddresses to look
> up. What's the best way to use milter-ahead?

The number of email addresses is not the issue, its the amount of
traffic at any given moment.  No one has complained to me about
performance issues. milter-sender has milter-ahead built-in and I know
that at my place of work, we handle approximately 52K messages a day
last time I looked.

Anyways, the whole point of the cache is to improve performance by
avoiding lots and lots of socket connections to other machines. I don't
see the point of using a low TTL though. How often are you changing a
user's email address? Why would you?

If you're just talking about the regular creation and deletion of
accounts as customers come and go, then I wouldn't bother using a low
TTL. Just let them expire normally so your system can benefit from
longer TTL for the regular users.

> A last question: does the cache flush when you restart milter-ahead?

No. The cache is preserved across restarts.

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:

            "Once...we were here."  - Last of The Mohicans

Lists Index Date Thread Search